Saturday, December 16, 2006

West Quoddy Lighthouse, Lubec, Maine



Now you will be able to see some of my work a bit to the south of where we stayed in Whiting. This is the West Quoddy Light House, the easternmost point in the United States. It is in a beautiful State Park with trails all through it. Some of the trails are a bit steep and twisting and turning along the rugged coast. Often you will come to a place where the view is absolutely breathtaking. I love to backpack my paints in there and find a spot and sit and paint.

For this painting of the lighthouse, the distant islands, the well-worn path and the wind-blown trees, it was a glorious day. I was pestered some by those stinging black flies that look like houseflies, swatting them, all the while trying to balance everything on the hot, uneven rocks. After a short time, my neck felt hot from the sun so I painted hastily, however, I still got a bit of a burn. A few hikers pause to watch me work, some stop and chat a bit and then move on.

SOLD!
Tomorrow I will take you across the bay and into Canada and more magnificent views.

Melanie Farmer paintings are internationally copyrighted. Do not copy without permission.

No comments: